2014/11–2019/11 / Dean of the School of GIS and Land Management, Kyiv National University of Civil Engineering (Construction) and Architecture, Ukraine
2012/12-2015/04, 2016/04-2019/04 / Chair of the Scientific Commission of Ministry of Science and Education of Ukraine “Surveying Engineering and Land Management”.
2007/06-2014/10 / Vice-Dean of the School of GIS and Land Management, Kyiv National University of Civil Engineering (Construction) and Architecture, Ukraine
Kyiv National University of Civil Engineering (Construction) and Architecture (since 2003):
Taught the following courses for students of Geodesy and Land Management major
- Introduction to Major Surveying and Land Management (BS)
- GIS for Land Management (MSc)
- Remote Sensing (MSc)
- GIS and Data Bases (BS)
- Applied Geodesy (MSc and BS)
- UAV Surveying (MSc)
- Statistical Methods in Geodesy (BS)
- Close-Range Photogrammetry (MSc)
- Adjustment Calculus (BS)
Taught the following course for students of Architecture major (Kyiv National University of Civil Engineering (Construction) and Architecture):
- Architectural Photogrammetry (BS)
Taught the courses for students of Civil Engineering major (Kyiv National University of Civil Engineering (Construction) and Architecture):
- Surveying Engineering (BS)
- Research and application of remote sensing, UAS, close-range photogrammetry, and terrestrial laser scanning (BIM, remote sensing monitoring, using photogrammetry for solving problems of engineering geodesy; low-cost photogrammetry; unmanned aerial vehicles photogrammetry).
- GIS and remote sensing for solving problems of town-planning and spatial management, GIS analysis, and assessment of the construction impact on the environment.
- GIS and remote sensing educational and outreach activity (promotion of cooperation and knowledge exchange between ISPRS and educational civil engineering institutions; development of educational programs on applying photogrammetry, remote sensing and GIS for solving problems of town-planning and spatial territorial management; teaching innovative photogrammetry and remote sensing technologies for getting learning skills in the assessment of the environmental impact of construction; teaching innovative photogrammetry and remote sensing technologies for structure inventory and certification).
- Geospatial monitoring of engineering structures (mathematical modeling of spatial deformation structures; study of structures temperature deformation; study of the Earth’s crustal vertical movements using GNSS, space and ground-based InSAR).
- Theory of mathematical processing of geospatial measurements (using of sequential analysis for the calculation and assessment of the accuracy of geospatial measurements; using of variance and correlation analysis to evaluate the quality of geospatial measurements; applying the theory of random functions in geospatial analysis).
- Geodetic support of civil engineering and assembling works (dimensional chains theory for the calculation of geodetic measurements precision; geodetic works accuracy calculation under different construction conditions; development of geodetic support technologies; geodetic control of high-rise buildings; development of technology for geodetic networks creation for different purposes).
Dr. of Technical Sciences (Ph.D. plus) (2012) “Surveying Engineering, Photogrammetry and Cartography”, Kyiv National University of Civil Engineering (Construction) and Architecture, Kyiv, Ukraine “Theory and Practice of Terrestrial Laser Scanning for Applied Geodesy Tasks”
Ph. D (2006) “Surveying Engineering/Geodesy”, Kyiv National University of Civil Engineering (Construction) and Architecture, Kyiv, Ukraine “Geodetic Support of Mobile Mapping System”
MSc (2002) “Surveying Engineering” cum laude, Kyiv National University of Civil Engineering (Construction) and Architecture, Kyiv, Ukraine “Preliminary Accuracy Research of Mobile Mapping System”
BS (2001) “Surveying Engineering, Cartography and Land Management” cum laude, Kyiv National University of Civil Engineering (Construction) and Architecture, Kyiv, Ukraine
- Certified Photogrammetrist (2020). American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, US.
- IBM Data Science Professional Certificate (What is Data Science? / Tools for Data Science / Data Science Methodology / Python for Data Science and AI). A non-credit course authorized by IBM and offered through Coursera. Course Certificates.
- Data Science Fundamentals (Intro to Analytic Thinking, Data Science, and Data Mining / Predictive Modeling, Model Fitting, and Regression Analysis / Cluster Analysis, Association Mining, and Model Evaluation / Natural Language Processing and Capstone Assignment). A non-credit course authorized by University of California, Irvine and offered through Coursera. Course Certificate.
- Practical Data Science with MATLAB (Exploratory Data Analysis with MATLAB). A non-credit course authorized by MathWorks and offered through Coursera. Course Certificate.
- Data Analyst with R. (Introduction to R / Intermediate R / Introduction to the Tidyverse / Data Manipulation with dplyr). Certificate of Accomplishment, 2020, DataCamp
- Introduction to Maps in R Shiny and Leaflet. Certificate of Achievement, 2020, Geo University.
- GIS, Mapping, and Spatial Analysis Specialization (Introduction to GIS Mapping / GIS Data Acquisition and Map Design). A non-credit courses authorized by the University of Toronto and offered through Coursera. Course Certificates.
- Spatial Data Science and Applications. A non-credit course authorized by Yonsei University and offered through Coursera. Course Certificate.
- Drones for Agriculture: Prepare and Design Your Drone (UAV) Mission. A course of study offered by WageningenX, an online learning initiative of Wageningen University & Research. Verified Certificate of Achievement, 2020
- Philosophy of Science for Engineers and Scientists. A course of study offered by the KTH Royal Institute of Technology. Verified Certificate of Achievement, 2020
- Introduction to Deep Earth Science. A course of study offered by the Tokyo Institute of Technology. Verified Certificate of Achievement, 2020
- Earthquake Seismology. A course of study offered by University Federico II of Naples. Verified Certificate of Achievement, 2020
PUBLICATIONS (indexed in Web of Science/Scopus)
- Shults R. (2020) The Models of Structural Mechanics for Geodetic Accuracy Assignment: A Case Study of the Finite Element Method. In: Kopáčik A., Kyrinovič P., Erdélyi J., Paar R., Marendić A. (eds) Contributions to International Conferences on Engineering Surveying. Springer Proceedings in Earth and Environmental Sciences. Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-51953-7_16
- Nurpeissova, M., Bitimbayev, M.Zh., Rysbekov, К.В., Derbisov, K., Тurumbetov, Т., Shults, R. (2020) Geodetic substantiation of the saryarka copper ore region. News of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Kazakhstan Series of Geology and Technical Sciences. Volume 6, Number 444, 194 – 202, https://doi.org/10.32014/2020.2518-170X.147
- Levin, E., Shults, R., Habibi, R., An, Z., Roland, W. (2020) Geospatial Virtual Reality for Cyberlearning in the Field of Topographic Surveying: Moving Towards a Cost-Effective Mobile Solution. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information. 9(7), 433; https://doi.org/10.3390/ijgi9070433
- Levin, E., Roland, W., Habibi, R., An, Z., Shults, R. (2020) Rapid visual presentation to support geospatial big data processing. Int. Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., XLIII-B4-2020, 463–470, https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-XLIII-B4-2020-463-2020
- Shults, R., Soltabayeva, S., Seitkazina, G., Nukarbekova, Z., Kucherenko, O. (2020) Geospatial Monitoring and Structural Mechanics Models: A Case Study of Sports Structures, 11th International Conference “Environmental Engineering”, pp. 1-9, https://doi.org/10.3846/enviro.2020.685
- Shults R., Kassymkanova, K.-K., Burlibayeva, S., Skopinova, D., Demianenko, R., Medvedskyi, Y. (2020) UAV Monitoring of Excavation Works, 11th International Conference “Environmental Engineering”, pp. 1-6, https://doi.org/10.3846/enviro.2020.696
- Shults R., Urazaliev, A., Annenkov, A., Nesterenko, O., Kucherenko, O., Kim, K. (2020) Different Approaches to Coordinate Transformation Parameters Determination of Nonhomogeneous Coordinate Systems, 11th International Conference “Environmental Engineering”, pp. 1-7, https://doi.org/10.3846/enviro.2020.687
- Shults, R. (2019). Development and Implementation of Innovative Educational Modules on Applied Photogrammetry for Bachelor’s Degree Curricula in Architecture, Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., XLII-2/W7, 115-120, https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-XLII-5-W3-115-2019
- Shults, R., Bilous, M., Kovtun, V. (2019). Monitoring and Preservation of the Kyiv Pechersk Lavra Caves, Int. Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., XLII-2/W11, 1053-1058, https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-XLII-2-W11-1053-2019
- Shults, R., Levin, E., Habibi, R., Shenoy, S., Honcheruk, O., Hart, T., An, Z. (2019). Capability of Matterport 3D camera for industrial archaeology sites inventory, Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., XLII-2/W11, 1059-1064, https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-XLII-2-W11-1059-2019
- Levin, E., Shults, R., Meadows, G., Karacelebia, U., Kulunk, H.S. (2019). Bathymetric surveying in Lake Superior: 3D modeling and sonar equipments comparing, Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., XLII-2/W10, 101-106, https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-XLII-2-W10-101-2019
- Al-Shammaria, A., Levin, E., Shults, R. (2018). Oil spills detection by means of UAS and low-cost airborne thermal sensors, In Proc. ISPRS Int. Ann. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., XLII-1-W1, pp. 293-301, https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-annals-IV-5-293-2018
- Shults R., Annenkov A. (2017) Investigation of the Different Weight Models in Kalman Filter: A Case Study of GNSS Monitoring Results, Journal of Geodesy and Geodynamics, 8(6), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geog.2017.09.003
- Shults R., Krelshtein P., Kravchenko I., Rogoza O., Kyselov O. (2017) Low-Cost Photogrammetry for Culture Heritage, 10th International Conference “Environmental Engineering”, pp. 1-7, https://doi.org/10.3846/enviro.2017.237
- Shults R. (2017) Simulation of Inertial Navigation System Errors at Aerial Photography from UAV, ISPRS Int. Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., XLII-1-W1, 2017, pp. 345-351, https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-XLII-1-W1-345- 2017
- Shults R. (2017) New Opportunities of Low-Cost Photogrammetry for Culture Heritage Preservation, ISPRS Int. Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., XLII-5-W1, 2017, pp. 481-486, https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-XLII-5-W1-481- 2017
- Levin, E, Vach, K, Shults, R. (2017) Development of the new educational content “Small UAS in civil engineering application scenarios”, ISPRS Ann. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., IV-5/W1, 29-33, 2017, pp. 29-33, https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-annals-IV-5-W1-29-2017
- Shults R., Roshchyn, O. (2016) Preliminary determination of spatial geodetic monitoring accuracy for free station method / Preliminarno određivanje točnosti geodetskog monitoringa primjenom metode slobodnog stajališta, Geodetski list, 70 (93) No.4, pp. 355-370, https://hrcak.srce.hr/178883
- Kravchenko, I., Luhmann, T, Shults, R. (2016) Concept and Practice of Teaching Technical University Students to Modern Technologies of 3D Data Acquisition and Processing: A Case Study of Close-Range Photogrammetry and Terrestrial Laser Scanning. Int. Arch. Photogramm. Remote Sens. Spatial Inf. Sci., Volume XLI-B6, 2016 XXIII ISPRS Congress, 12–19 July 2016, Prague, Czech Republic. https://doi.org.10.5194/isprs-archives-XLI-B6-65-2016
- Shults R., Annenkov A., Bilous M., Kovtun V. (2016) Interpretation of Geodetic Observations of the High-Rise Buildings Displacements, Journal Geodesy and Cartography, 42(2), pp. 39-46, http://dx.doi.org/10.3846/20296991.2016.1198566
- Burlibayeva Sh., Bexeitova R., Shults R. (2020) Interpretation of Geodetic Observations of the High-Rise Buildings Displacements, Journal of Geography and Environmental Management, 58(3), pp. 4-10, http://dx.doi.org/ 26577/JGEM.2020.v58.i3.01
- Shults, R. (2019). Development and Research of the Methods for Analysis of Geodetic Monitoring Results for the Subway Tunnels, In Proc. 4th Joint International Symposium on Deformation Monitoring (JISDM), https://jisdm2019.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/41.pdf
- Shults R. (2018) Vertical displacements of engineering structures, a case study of classification and prediction models during buildings reconstruction, Coordinates, Volume XIV, Issue 4, April 2018, pp. 10-14 http://mycoordinates.org/pdf/apr18.pdf
- Shults R. (2017) Vertical displacements of engineering structures during reconstruction: classification and prediction models, proceedings INGEO2017: 7th International Conference on Engineering Surveying, pp. 109-116, 18 – 20 October 2017 Lisbon, Portugal, http://fig.net/resources/proceedings/2017/2017_10_INGEO/23_TS3-3_Shults.pdf
- Shults, R., Kravchenko, I., Gorkovchuk, D. (2017) Getting a Correct Geometrical Information from TLS Data for Building Constructions Control Surveying, proceedings FIG Working Week 2017 Surveying the world of tomorrow – From digitalization to augmented reality Helsinki, Finland, May 29–June 2, 2017, http://www.fig.net/resources/proceedings/fig_proceedings/fig2017/papers/ts03f/TS03F_shults_kravchenko_et_al_8857.pdf
- Shults R., Kravchenko J., Kvartych T. (2016) Using Different Types of Initial Data for Monitoring of the Coastline Inland Seas. ISPRS WG IV/2 Workshop “Global Geospatial Information and High Resolution Global Land Cover/Land Use Mapping”, April 21, 2016, Novosibirsk, Russian Federation http://www.isprs.org/proceedings/2016/2016-WG-IV-2/75_2016-WG-IV-2.pdf